“It is an honor to have Sr. Rosalie as a tutor for our students here at St. Joseph Academy. She has so much patience and control over her teaching that each student who gets the opportunity to receive her support shines by the end of the year without a doubt. Her wisdom in education and well-being of everyone is one of a kind.” – Blanca Gallegos, K5 Teacher at St. Joseph Academy.
In honor of Catholic Sisters Week (March 8-14, 2020), we wanted to spotlight the Sisters we have on staff at St. Joseph Academy. Meet Sr. Mary Rosalie Disterhaft, a tutor who is marking her seventh year at St. Joseph Academy. She has been a Felician Sister for 59 years.
What ministries have you been at and what was your role(s) there?
I’ve enjoyed being a full-time educator for 50 years and after retiring, I became a tutor for the last seven years. The following ministries were in addition to my role as a full-time teacher:
- Unit Leader for grades 3-5 in an Individually Guided Education (IGE) school.
- Mentor to a number of students doing their student teaching experience from St. Xavier College.
- Being a Master Catechist for the teachers involved in the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (C.C.D.) Religious Education Program.
- Being part of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (R.C.I.A.) Parish Program as an instructor.
- Summer instructor for 13 years in the Felician Psychoeducational Center in Chicago, Iliniois.
Why did you decide to become a Sister?
My call to become a Religious was to become closer to Jesus, to serve the Church, to be there for others, and hopefully make a difference. This was greatly influenced from reading the Maryknoll Magazine for years.
What do you enjoy most about being a Sister?
Being a Religious brings much joy and peace of mind, it helps me to respond to the Gospel more openly, to deepen my relationship with the Lord, and to walk with Him for the needs of others and His Church.
Anything else you would like to add?
I would like to express my appreciation to all of you for the continued positive support I receive. May your lives be enriched by the Lord as only He can. Thank you! God bless!