Problem solvers and curious leaders, St. Joseph 2nd graders are ready for anything!
2nd grade is a special year!
In 2nd grade, students at St. Joseph Academy will tackle big concepts in reading, writing, math, and science.
Our 2nd graders are on track to build a commitment to life long learning:
• Increase reading comprehension and phonological and phonemic awareness
• Build an appreciation of literature and cultural awareness
• Increase word recognition and decoding skills
• Build on critical thinking skills
• Introduce writing strategies and writing habits
• Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction
• Work with equal groups of objects to gain foundations for multiplication and division
• Continue to develop knowledge of time, money, fractions, and geometry
• A diverse curriculum including art, library, physical education and music classes.
Our three main 2nd grade curriculum tools are:
• Everyday Mathematics—Uses real-world examples to make math relevant and fun!
• Reading Wonders—This literacy program helps children to improve their reading and writing at their own pace.
• Foss Science- Kids love these fast-paced, hands-on lessons!
• Other resources include Learning A-Z, Sharp Literacy, and Sciencesaurus
Technology is everywhere and it’s critical that your child become comfortable and experienced using a variety of technology tools. All St. Joseph Academy elementary students and staff have access to computers and smart boards.
• Small class sizes of 25 students
• Teachers are degreed and licensed
• A bilingual teacher or teaching assistant is available at all times
• Classroom staff have CPR and First Aid certification
Our school day is from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
SJA’s Before/After School Program is Here for You
• Our center is open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday-Friday
• Before school, the children have breakfast and free time.
• After school, students will be served a nutritious snack and participate in structured activities, free play or can get help with their homework.
• Transportation is available for children who attend another school
• In addition to our before and after school care, we offer seasonal extra curricular activities such as basketball, Scouts, math club and Zumba.
• We serve breakfast (8:00-8:25), lunch (12:00-12:30), and snacks
• All meals healthy, kid-friendly and meet USDA requirements
• Meals are prepared on site in our full-service kitchen
• Does your child have a food allergy?Please let our staff know. We have gone through extensive food handling training and we will do everything possible to safely meet your child’s needs.