The wonder years! Ages Two-Four
At this age, your child is learning, exploring, making friends and even starting to take the first steps toward reading. It’s an exciting time and the St. Joseph staff is here to help your child make the most of it!
Common activities include:
Group time – group discussions about activities, themes, etc.
Library/language – reading books, creating and telling stories
Dramatic play – dress up and “let’s pretend!”
Music/transition – singing and dancing our way through the day
Math/manipulatives – using blocks and other tools to help learn number recognition, sequencing, comparing
Cooking/nutrition – learning about and preparing healthy foods (fruit salad is a favorite!)
Outdoor/physical – developing gross motor skills and stretching those busy bodies
Art – expressing ourselves through clay, paint, chalk and a variety of tactile items Sensory/Science – learning about our senses, the animal kingdom and more
Mental health – helping children navigate feelings, relationships and problem solving Safety – basic discussions about fire safety, safe play, strangers and more
Early Head Start—for children under Age 3
Children who meet certain developmental and income standards may qualify for our Early Head Start program. This program has a superb track record of preparing children to succeed in school—and in life!—and St. Joseph Academy is excited to be an Early Head Start provider.
Children in Early Head Start:
• Have access to additional health and wellness services
• Are in Early Head Start-specific classrooms
• Remain with the same students and teachers until they turn 3
Head Start – for ages 3+
At three years of age or older, children transition to our standard program. Two three-year-old classrooms are Head Start compatible and Head Start students will continue to receive additional health and wellness services. Want to know if you qualify for this program? Please contact our Amanda Kallas, at akallascdcsj.org or 414-645-5337, ext 211.
• Student:teacher ratio of 10:1 with a maximum of 20 children and two teachers for 3-5 year olds.
• 1:4 with a maximum of 8 children for Early Headstart.
• 1:6 with a maximum of 12 children for 2 year olds.
• A bilingual teacher or teaching assistant is available at all times
• Classroom staff are degreed professionals
• Classroom staff have CPR and First Aid certification
Our center is open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday-Friday
• We serve breakfast, lunch and snacks to our students (depending on which hours the child is on site)
• All meals are healthy, kid-friendly and meet USDA requirements
• Meals are prepared on site in our full-service kitchen
• Does your child have a food allergy? Please let our staff know. We have gone through extensive food handling training and we will do everything possible to safely meet your child’s needs.