Giving them the tools for future success: Grade 1
1st grade is incredible!
By first grade, our students are well on their way to building both a strong academic foundation and important social skills.
Students in our 1st grade classrooms take their learning to the next level:
• Learn how to approach a math problem in a variety of ways
• Reinforce basic math functions—addition and subtraction
• Start to work with time, basic geometry, three-dimensional objects and fractions
• Learn how to check their math work
• Read age-appropriate books
• Explore different types of books
• Learn strategies to figure out the meaning and pronunciation of unfamiliar words
Our main 1st grade curriculum tools are:
• Everyday Mathematics—Uses real-world examples to make math relevant and fun!
• Reading Wonders—This literacy program helps children to improve their reading and writing at their own pace.
• Foss Science- Kids love these fast-paced, hands-on lessons!
• Other resources include Learning A-Z, Sharp Literacy, and Sciencesaurus
Technology is everywhere and it’s critical that your child become comfortable and experienced using a variety of technology tools. All St. Joseph Academy elementary students and staff have access to computers and smart boards.
• Small class sizes of 25 students
• Teachers are degreed and licensed
• A bilingual teacher or teaching assistant is available at all times
• Classroom staff have CPR and First Aid certification
Our school day is from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
SJA’s Before/After School Program is Here for You
• Our center is open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday-Friday
• Before school, the children have breakfast and free time.
• After school, students will be served a nutritious snack and participate in structured activities, free play or can get help with their homework.
• Transportation is available for children who attend another school
• In addition to our before and after school care, we offer seasonal extra curricular activities such as basketball, Scouts, math club and Zumba.
• We serve breakfast (8:00-8:25) lunch (11:30-12:00), and snacks
• All meals healthy, kid-friendly and meet USDA requirements
• Meals are prepared on site in our full-service kitchen
• Does your child have a food allergy?Please let our staff know. We have gone through extensive food handling training and we will do everything possible to safely meet your child’s needs.