5th graders are scholars and leaders at St. Joseph Academy!
5th grade is awesome!
The mission of our 5th grade classroom to help our students continue development as intelligent, responsible young leaders.
In our 5th grade classroom, all students are active learners:
• Continue a research-based reading & language arts curriculum
• Build on appreciation of literature and cultural awareness
• Increase word recognition and decoding skills
• Build on critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Improve writing strategies and writing habits
• Represent and solve advanced problems involving addition and subtraction
• Master multiplication and division skills
• Advance knowledge of time, money, fractions, and geometry
• Learn the foundation for pre-algebra mathematics
• Build character through education and leadership
• Offer comprehensive ESL support
• Enjoy a standards-based art, library, physical education, and music curriculum
Our key 5th grade curriculum tools are:
• Everyday Mathematics—Uses real-world examples to make math relevant and fun!
• Reading Wonders—This literacy program helps children to improve their reading and writing at their own pace.
• Foss Science- Kids love these fast-paced, hands-on lessons!
• Other resources include Learning A-Z, Sharp Literacy, and Sciencesaurus
Technology is everywhere and it’s critical that your child become comfortable and experienced using a variety of technology tools. All St. Joseph Academy students and staff have access to computers and smart boards.
• Small class sizes of 25 students
• Teachers are degreed and licensed
• A bilingual teacher or teaching assistant is available at all times
• Classroom staff have CPR and First Aid certification
Our full-day sessions are from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Before/After School programs
• Our center is open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday-Friday
• Before school, children have breakfast and free time.
• After school, students will be served a nutritious snack and participate in structured activities, free play or can get help with their homework.
• Transportation is available for children who attend another school.
• In addition to our before and after school care, we offer seasonal extra curricular activities such as basketball, Scouts, math club and Zumba.
• We serve breakfast (8:00-8:25), lunch (12:30-1:00), and snacks (depending on which hours the child is on site)
• All meals are healthy, kid-friendly, and meet USDA requirements
• Meals are prepared on site in our full-service kitchen
• Does your child have a food allergy? Please let our staff know. We have gone through extensive food handling training and we will do everything possible to safely meet your child’s needs.